03 May Enologist (Firestone Vineyard)
The Enologist supports all day to day lab and cellar operations, including harvest, bulk wine, barrels, bottling preparation, sanitation, right first time actions, and cellar organization and cleanliness. Provides technical support to the winemaking and production staff and supports FFW goals and core values: Safety, Environmental, Quality, Courtesy, Efficiency and Excellence. Work closely with multiple departments such as vineyard operations, hospitality, and winemaking operations to achieve high quality wines with goal of producing one of the top three wines within operating AVAs. Responsible for providing analytical and administrative support to both Foley Estates and Firestone production facilities as well as supplemental analytical support to Chalone winery. This role has oversite of one direct report during harvest.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Provide support for all site winemaking quality initiatives from grape to bottle with objective to make one of the top 3 wines within operating AVAs
• Contribute to implementation of winemaking techniques and practices to achieve quality
• Utilize winemaking and business suite software: BC and Vintrace
• Ability to run basic lab analyses: Alcohol, FSO2, pH, TA,DO, CO2, and enzymatic analysis via spec and Y15
• Data Entry and management of work orders and lab results
• Generate monthly ATP swabbing audit reports
• Set up all wine and juice bench trails for both analysis, blending, and tastings with organization and professionalism
• Provide administrative support for daily work order generation in coordination with winemakers
• Assist in maintaining bottling quality control and laboratory record keeping
• Provide administrative support for EH&S and Sustainability compliance
• Assist with storm water compliance: inspections, monitoring and reporting, training and sampling responsibilities; and initiating/documenting actions taken to correct any deficiencies
• Assist with wastewater compliance through monitoring and reporting; and initiating/documenting actions taken to correct any deficiencies
• Participation and administrative assistance with monthly site compliance reports along with conducting mid-year and end of year inventory audits
• Assist in maintaining all safety, bottling, quality control, laboratory and cellar digital and on site record keeping and filing
• Provide administrative support for verification that wines are produced and identified correctly in accordance with any applicable regulatory standards
• Participation in monthly safety trainings and facility inspections and audits to ensure compliance the company safety program and hazard prevention plan.
• Provide support for Implementation of HACCP and QMS programs at site level
• Participation on FFW SOP and safety committees
• Provide support for scheduling and shipping logistics of bulk wine shipments and scheduling of grape deliveries
• Assist with hiring of all temporary workers for harvest and bottling.
• Provide administrative support for harvest additive orders/cellar and lab supplies
• Manage MOX program while communicating developments
• Ability to represent the winery and our wine brands at industry trade organizations, sales and distributor meetings, and at functions show casing our wines, such as winemaker dinners, fundraisers, seminar panels etc.
• Employs LEAN Manufacturing techniques to implement sustainable, systematized solutions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Possess good sensory analysis skills
• Role Model safety first behavior
• Must be able to communicate in English (spoken and written)
• Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and be a team player who can work with the minimal supervision.
• Must be able to stand/sit for long period of time and lift up to 40 lbs
• Must be able to work at moderate heights
Experience and Qualifications
Degree in or currently enrolled in Enology, Viticulture, or related scientific field. Demonstrated commitment to the wine industry.
• Good MS Access, Excel & Word computer skills.
• Knowledge of wine sensory characteristics, analytical procedures and equipment
• Knowledge and understanding of Wine Microbiology.
• Must be able to accurately and consistently follow established analytical procedures and directions.
• Must be at least 21 years old
Company Core Values:
Teamwork – Be Each Other’s Partners in Wine
Commitment – Crush Every Day Like It’s Harvest
Quality – Good vs. Grape: It’s All in The Details
Integrity – It Takes a Vneyard
Safety – Tend the Vines
Entrepreneurship – Love the Wine You’re With
Fun! Smile! You Have Purple Teeth!
Foley Family Wines provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.